Monday, October 20, 2014

Sick Ramble

Being sick makes even the most mundane tasks unmanageable. This week has been no fun for me at all. I've been sick. Not even the regular kind of sick where you have an annoying runny nose that lasts a week, but the miserable kind of sick where every muscle aches and you can hardly talk because your throat hurts so much. But luckily I did not have to be on my own.

Being sick at school is tough. Of course my dorm has to be the furthest from the dinning hall. Normally I would not complain about this because I love the exercise (even though there are often scary homeless people throwing insults at anyone who walks by) but these are not normal circumstances. When you can hardly move, walking a couple of blocks up hill just isn't going to work. I had to call someone.

I am so lucky to have someone special in my life who would drive 2 hours just to come pick me up from school. Stuffy and sniffling, miserable me waiting in my sweatpants, hardly able to carry my own bag of clothing for the weekend; it was definitely a sad sight. But that didn't matter. He gave me a huge hug and helped me with my bags. He just wanted to do what ever he could to help me, even if there was a chance of him getting sick too. I can't thank him enough.

We went back to my house. It was much more comfortable there than at school. I got to rest and eat soup and watch movies all day (and since this blog is all about life tips I'll throw this in as well: when you're sick it is key to stay hydrated). It would have been an amazing mini-vacation if I hadn't been so sick. Waking up at 5 in the morning with a coughing fit just stinks. But I'm getting better, I don't feel as achy. I had to return to school because I couldn't miss any more days of class. Luckily for me it was a Wednesday when I got sick. Usually this would have been an issue to go home in the middle of the week but thanks to optional midterms I only missed two classes.


I don't like missing my photography class but I really wasn't feeling well. I did some practice at home for a big project that I'm working on (surprises! You'll have to wait and see!). I don't like missing classes in general. Not only am I paying for them, I also don't like letting people down. I felt bad having to tell my group for my cultures & heroes class that I couldn't make it. We were doing a group presentation. I sent in my work of course but I wasn't there to help present (I couldn't have anyway, I could hardly talk).

So now I'm back to school (even though I wish I could still be home snuggled warm on the couch). But I have work to do and obligations to keep. I will push through this sickness the best that I can and stay positive all the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment